Slatty Bridge Refurbishment
|Client||Iarnrod Eireann / Irish Rail|
JS McCarthy Ltd was employed by Iarnrod Eireann to Grit Blast and apply Iarnrod Eireann’s (Rail Track RT98) Industrial paint speculation to all structural steel elements of the Slatty Bridge which was built in the 1850’s. The Slatty Bridge is a six span bridge spanning the River Lee. Works were carried out under partial possession.
Iarnrod Eireann provided access scaffolding to access the underside of the Slatty Bridge for grit blasting & painting works. All materials, plant and equipments could not be transported along the railway tracks. JS McCarthy had to provide a barge/pontoon to remove spent grit etc. from the bridge.
- The complete surface of the bridge was power, fresh water, washed to remove salts & surface contaminants
- The entire structural steel surface of the bridge was grit blasted to Sa2.5 Standard
- Re-power wash due to high levels of salts
- Re-grit blast to Sa2.5 Standard
- Apply 1 full coat of Zinc Rich Primer at 50 microns DFT
- Apply 1 full coat two pack surface tolerant aluminium primer at 100 microns DFT
- Apply 1 full coat two pack surface tolerant epoxy hibuild at 100 microns DFT
- Apply 1 full coat two pack polyurethane finish at 75 microns DFT
*All edged, rivets, bolts were strip coated between coats